I don’t consider myself an expert in the field of beauty at all. Honestly, I’m just like you, a consumer that loves to spend money on products that are beautiful, easy to apply and solve a problem for me. Lately, I’ve been really into matte liquid lipsticks because they stay put and are very pigmented. My favorite color right now is by Dose of Colors and it wears perfectly. However, at some point, matte liquid lipsticks can become drying to your lips. Some brands even bleed or end up on your teeth which sucks. That’s why I decided to collaborate with Lips by Lex to give an honest review of the new hot LipSense lipsticks. So did I love them? Are they really long wear? Are they worth the investment? I will discuss all of these questions and more right now.
What is LipSense?
From the website:
“LipSense is the premier product of SeneGence and is unlike any conventional lipstick, stain or color. As the original long-lasting lip color, it is waterproof, does not kiss-off, smear-off, rub-off or budge-off! Create your own color palette by combining colors from over 50 shades.”
I have, to be honest when I first heard of this product I thought to myself this must be a scam. No way a product can be long lasting and nontransferable. I was dead set on believing this was just another fad that would soon pass. But I continued to see women using this product and raving about it. Could I be wrong, I exclaimed! This had to be a trick or some form of sorcery, but I was wrong. Keep reading to find out my initial reaction as well as my final thoughts.
What I Received in My LipSense Package:
- 1 Instruction card
- 1 LipSense Long Lasting Lip Color in Currant
- 1 LipSense Moisturizing Gloss
- 1 LipSense Ooops! Remover
How To Use:
- Thoroughly cleanse your lips
- Shake your LipSense color
- Start on the bottom lip and go from corner to corner in ONE SWIPE on the outer lip. Then repeat on the inner lip.
- Go from corner to corner on the top lip in ONE SWIPE. Then repeat on the top inner lip.
- Once you have applied your first coat, let it dry. Do not touch your lips together. This should take only a couple of seconds.
- Repeat steps 3-5 two times. Allowing each coat to dry completely before moving on.
- Once the color is dry, you can apply your gloss and rub your lips together. Apply gloss as needed throughout the day.
Initial reaction to LipSense:
I pride myself on being able to figure things out easily but sometimes I fail in one important area..Common sense. Y’all I applied the lipstick according to the directions given to me by Lex on the sweet card she sent to me. But I was so excited that I applied the Ooops Remover as lip gloss and my lipstick began to come off. I flipped out, saying to myself “I knew it, I knew it was all a lie.” Angry I put the lipstick up until another day to try it out. However about thirty minutes later I realized that I was the one that made my lipstick come off by applying the Ooops Remover like the silly child that I am.
That aside, once I figured out how to follow directions properly, the application process was easy and the lipstick stayed on all day. Even after eating pizza. I will admit it began to peel after the greasy food but I assume the oil was the cause. In all, it lasted 8 hours for me and for a lipstick that’s pretty good.
Final Thoughts on LipSense:
- Long Lasting
- No smell
- Affordable – Considering that the product lives up to its claims, I’d say $25 is steep but affordable if you are into high-end cosmetics.
- Burns – Upon first applying the lipSense lipstick I did notice a burn. Nothing super terrible but it was enough to make me squint my eyes and wince in pain. I had to quickly fan my lips to make the burning stop. I attributed this to over exfoliating my lips prior to applying the lipstick.
- Price – This is both a pro and a con depending on your budget. The bundle that I received together would cause you about $50. If you’re into high-end makeup, for example, if you’d drop $35 on a foundation (ahem me) then this product would be affordable for you. But if not, the price is a major turn off.
In conclusion, LipSense may not be for everyone but It is perfect for me. I appreciate the fact that it is long lasting and that the color payoff is amazing. As mentioned above I dislike the burning and the price is debatable depending on what my wallet looks like from month to month. But overall I think I’m a bit obsessed. If you would like to try LipSense for yourself, Check out Lips by Lex on Instagram and contact her to place your order.
What is your favorite lipstick?